<< Back to News ]
Apr 14, 2003
A level playing field featuring a maximum number of drivers is the best way to launch
the finest racecar driving talent to the forefront of motorsports. With the development of
Formula Mazda and the Star Mazda Series, more and more of tomorrow's champions will emerge.
STAR MAZDA SERIES
* Develops racecar driving careers by providing an opportunity for drivers to compete on the same race tracks used for major league events
* The Star Mazda Series North American Championship is a support event appearing regularly with the American Le Mans Series
* Partnered with the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) through the 2008 season
* Prize package of $500,000 beginning in 2004
* Acts as a feeder for many of the professional racing series in North America
* One of the most successful series in North America in 2001 with an average of more than 40 cars starting each race
* Started in 1991
STAR RACE CARS
* Provides cars, parts and technical support for the Series
* More than 300 Formula Mazda racecars currently compete in a combination of club and professional races
* Will continue to build and support the current Formula Mazda beyond the 2003 season
STAR FORMULA MAZDA
* In 2004, will feature the forthcoming Mazda "Renesis" rotary engine, an extremely powerful, competitive, and affordable motor in an all-new car
* New chassis will remain current for at least five years
* Reliable, matched, 240-hp motors, sealed to discourage tampering
240 HP Mazda "Renesis" rotary engine with encrypted ECU including rev limiter, pit speed limiter, traction control, ignition trim, fuel trim.
Carbon fiber composite built to FIA standards with 17 U.S. gallon fuel cell
Six-speed sequential with no lift shift
Optional (subject to testing and rules review)
Data acquisition, including paddle shift on steering wheel, traction control defeat, ignition and fuel trim controls on steering wheel, pixel screen display, auto blip downshift
Pushrod, inboard with two-way adjustable shock absorbers, adjustable rear sway bar, cockpit adjustable front sway bar. Front suspension tethered.
Front wing and quick adjustable flaps of aluminum, rear wing two upper and one lower element of aluminum with composite end plates.
Cockpit adjustable bias, 4-pot alloy calipers, vented, floating steel discs.
Anti-intrusion Kevlar panels, FIA headrest/side head restraint, compatible with HANS device.
Front 9"w x 13"d, rear 11'w x 13"d, magnesium, center lock
Front track 61.5", rear track 58.5", wheelbase 101" and weight 1050 lbs.